Introducing Howden – van insurance brokers with a difference.
Here at Howden we’re on a mission to take the hassle out of insurance.
We are one of the largest specialist insurance distribution groups in the UK. We have over 100 High Street branches and 40 commercial centres, offering van drivers an advised service to ensure they get correct, great value cover, delivering a truly personal experience.
The UK’s most stolen van!
The most popular van for the trade in the UK is the Ford Transit. In fact, it is the most popular commercial vehicle in the UK, with a third of all new vans being Ford Transits.
Unfortunately, according to the National Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service (NaVCIS), the Ford Transit is also the most stolen van in the UK.
Why are Ford Transit vans targeted by thieves?
They are known for their durability, reliability, and affordability. They are also highly customisable so they can be tailored to suit the specific needs of a contractor and have a high resale value. Team that with a reliable engine, the vans have a good reputation for being easy to maintain and repair.
It is also because they are easier to break into – unlike other manufacturers, their locks can be bypassed, making them a prime target for thieves. They can easily be loaded onto a truck for transport and have a large aftermarket for parts.
Even if the van isn’t the target itself, thieves know that Ford Transit vans may contain valuable items, such as tools, supplies, or equipment.
So, let’s look at what you can to do keep your van safe!
How can you help prevent van theft?
Our simple checklist:
- Install an immobiliser to prevent the van from starting without the correct key or code.
- Fit an alarm system to alert you if someone is trying to break into the van – and deter potential thieves.
- Fit an anti-theft device. This can be an additional lock on the steering wheel, gear shift or door, or a device which sounds an alarm when the vehicle is tampered with.
- Park in a secure area. Make sure the van is parked in a well-lit, secure area.
- Please keep all valuables out of sight. Don’t leave any tempting items – particularly your tools – in the van, as this may encourage thieves.
- Install a tracker to track the vehicle’s location if it is stolen and aid recovery sooner.
- Ensure you use signage on your van, it makes it easier to be spotted earlier.
Insuring your Ford Transit?
Howden provide specialist van insurance to TradeHelp members. To find out more go to the Buying Group page of your TradeHelp app.
Not already a TradeHelp Member?
The TradeHelp Network is completely free to join and uses the combined buying power of the network to negotiate cash savings and special offers on your behalf. There is no cost and no commitment. Join below today and join over 16,000 businesses already saving..